We are constantly improving our fine and gross motor skills whilst learning through play. The adult led sessions that target gross motor skills is PE which we access twice a week. The adult led sessions that develop fine motor skills are handwriting, dough disco and literacy.
Physical development is split into two areas gross motor skills and fine motor skills. Your child will be assessed against the following criteria at the end of the year.
Gross motor skills
- I can negotiate space and obstacles safely, with consideration for themselves and others
- I can demonstrate strength, balance and coordination when playing
- I can move energetically such as running, jumping, dancing, hopping, skipping and climbing.
Fine motor skills
- I can hold a pencil effectively in preparation for fluent writing
- I can use a range of small tools including scissors, paint brushes and cutlery
- I can begin to show accuracy and care when drawing